Lola Homsher Grant Program — 2008 Grant Recipients
2008 Lola Homsher Awards The Wyoming State Historical Society announces recipients of its 2008 Lola Homsher research grants. The committee selected eight applicants who will receive a total of $5,700 for their individual research projects. Chairman John Waggener said this is one of the most important ways the Society reaches out to the public and makes an impact on preserving Wyoming’s wonderful history. The winners are as follows:
1. The Western Plains Historic Preservation Association, Inc. located in Lingle received $1,000 to help with the Fort Laramie Building rehabilitation Projects with a focus on the Grattiot Houses.
2. Julianne Couch of Laramie received $300 to research the history of Wyoming bars for her book titled “Jukeboxes and Jackalopes.”
3. Cynthia Boyd of Laramie received $100 to research coal mine fatalities in Wyoming from 1885 to present.
4. Saint Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church in Cheyenne was awarded $900 to research Greek Orthodox family histories throughout Wyoming.
5. Nancy Anderson of Coyote Springs received $500 to research the history of communities in northern Carbon County.
6. Lee Ann Siebken from Douglas has been granted $700 toward her research of World War II POW Camps around Wyoming.
7. Julie Stetler of Las Vegas, Nevada received $900 toward her research northern Wyoming’s 300th Armored Field Artillery Battalion.
8. Tisa M. Anders of Lakewood, Colorado received $1300 to research Wyoming’s sugar industry. Her research will include an emphasis on the culture in those communities where sugar plants were a primary employer.
The Lola Homsher Grant is made possible from the endowment that prominent Wyoming historian Lola Homsher created for the purpose of promoting the research of Wyoming history. The application process for next round of grants will begin in December. To learn more about the Lola Homsher Research Grant Program, or other aspects of the Wyoming State Historical Society, visit the website at www.wyshs.org or contact executive secretary Linda Fabian at 307-322-4237 or firstname.lastname@example.org.